Small bowel fistula caused by ingested magnetic beads

T. G. Morulana, N. Tshifularo, T. R. Ngwenya, E. Motloung*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Foreign body(FB) ingestion poses a serious challenge to children from the age of 6 months to 3 years worldwide. Most of the Foreign Bodies will spontaneously pass through the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) without any serious consequences, however, a subset of the FB ingestion may cause serious life-threatening complications. Amongst the Foreign Bodies that may serious systemic issues are the button battery, long sharp objects, magnetic beads, and sharp bones. Serial abdominal x-rays and conservative management of a patient who swallowed multiple magnetic beads are not advisable because of the strong attraction from magnets that can cause entrapping of the bowel with subsequent necrosis and a bowel perforation. We present a case of unwitnessed ingestion of magnetic beads with small bowel perforation.

Original languageEnglish
Article number101899
JournalJournal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports
Volume71
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Aug 2021
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Foreign body ingestion (FB)
  • Magnetic beads
  • Small bowel fistula

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Small bowel fistula caused by ingested magnetic beads'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this